Wednesday 11 May 2011

Hello!!

Hello!! Again it's been FOREVER since I've written a blog so impossible to write everything I've been up to....But I'll give a quick overview, as much as I can.... So, I arrived in Australia on the 12th March. It's now the 10th May so I've pretty much been here for 2 months!! Crazy-ness..... Where have I been? What have I been doing?!!


As my previous blog suggests I spent 2 Weeks in Melbourne area before heading up to Sydney. Spent almost 2 weeks between Sydney and the Blue Mountains where the boyo's living. It was amazing to be living in his little house and having home comforts everyday and great to see him- God I definately didn't miss being in a dorm!! Whilst there I saw lots of Sydney sights including quite a cool experience at the Sydney Opera house: Steve's Great Uncles (I think?!) was Musical Director there years ago, and Steve had been told through family stories that there was a plaque for him in the Green Room backstage. We weren't sure if this was urban family legend, or in fact true, so after talking to the Security guards/Tour guides/Management...etc....etc we finally wangled a backstage tour of the Opera house to see this supposed plaque. And low behold eventually we found it at the bar (!!!) in the Green Room.... Very cool - And Steve was very touched to see it!!


After two lovely weeks with Steve, I headed to visit some fellow Apps relatives in a place called Cooma in the Snowy Mountains. I had only intended to stay a night or two but had such a lovely time I ended up staying 10 days!! (Michael and Elizabeth - Thank-You SO much for having me!!) I'm not 100% sure of the relation, but it's something like my Grandad's cousin's son's brother's sister's gardener's hairdresser?? (Joke!) But anyway, I couldn't quite work it out, but my Grandad (when he was alive) had told me he'd love for me to visit them - so it felt like a trip I couldn't quite miss.


I'm SO glad I went - Michael and Elizabeth were the COOLEST APPS'!! (No offence Mum/Dad/Chris....haha) They ran a Flying School, owned an Air-field, an Alpaca farm, had sheep,cows and cats and Liz had a show on a local radio station!! How cool?!! How they found all the hours in the day I'll never know!! I had the most fantastic time. They live in the most beautiful house, in the most beautiful area. Several mornings I'd get up to go on an early morning walk - to be met by families of kangaroos outside the house bouncing past!! (They couldn't quite understand my absolute excitement 'KANGAROOOOS!!! BLOOODY KANGAROOOOOS!!!!!' Apparantly they're seen as pests over there!!) We had numerous trips out to see the local (stunning area), trips to Canberra, walks, talks, nice meals... All in all a LOVELY LOVELY time was had. I even got to go up in a 2-SEATER plane with Michael! AMAZING!! I could see myself getting the flying bug - Maybe I should learn to fly?!


After an amazing time in Cooma I headed to Canberra for one (hilarious drunkard) night with a friend there before getting the train (hungover to hell) back up to Sydney for a flight to Brisbane. Arrived at the airport to ABSOLUTE chaos. Thousands of people miling around, queuing, moaning, groaning... arghhhh this is not what I needed with an extremely sore head! After hours of queuing we eventually found out that the security equiptment wasn't working and all the flights were cancelled! So off I was shipped to a (luxurious - not!) Formula 1 hotel for the night before an early morning (5am wakeup) flight to BRISBANE BABY!


Finally arrived in Brissie to jump on a bus to NOOSA, where I visited a good friend I worked with last year in Morzine. Again only meant to spend a night or two in Noosa, but I loved it so much I ended up staying 6 days. Contarary to popular belief (or I believed before I came out) Australia isn't as hot as they suggest (Aus must have a really good PR team!!) Up until Noosa I'd had more than my fair share of rainy days, cloudy days and if I was really lucky a some-what sunny day. Noosa changed this - I had 6 days of beautiful hot hot hot hot sun!! YEEEES!!!! Beaches, bikinis, tanning, drinking, swimming, ice-creams, men wearing next to nothing YEEESSSS!!! (Sorry Steve!!) Had a great few days on the beach, wondering Hastings Street (the main street in Noosa) and a few fun nights out! Good times - Thanks Kylie!!


After Noosa.... (are you bored yet? This is an ESSAY of a blog....Maybe have a little break and a cup of tea and come back for part 2 in a mo?!!!) I headed to Hervey Bay, the 'gateway' to Fraser Island.


For 3+ months I hadn't once felt home-sick, but in Hervey Bay it hit me at full pelt and I had a couple of hard days being a total loner!! (Well done Rosie!) My two amazing friends at home were getting married in a few days and it suddenly hit me that I wouldn't be there to celebrate with them. (Update: They had a magical, perfect day and Sarah was the most beautiful bride I've ever seen - Charlie - you didn't scrub up too badly either!! haha) It didn't help that the weather in Hervey Bay was disgusting - rain rain rain rain rain - or that there's nothing to do there apart from the Fraser Island trip....!!! After a couple of days seriously missing home and moping waiting for the rain to clear I decided to skip Fraser Island (baaad weather forecast for days to come) and head up to the Whitsunday's for sunshine and sailing and happier times!!


This was the BEST decision I could have made. Airlie beach/Whitsundays was one of the most magical moments of my trip, though getting to Airlie beach is a NIGHTMARE... Over here the 'Greyhound' buses are extremely popular and they do this lovely thing called the 'Night Bus' (and no, unfortunately it's nothing like the night bus in Harry Potter - much to my disappointment.... Yes I am a geek!) 15 hours through the night, sitting in the most uncomfortable seat, next to a fat heffer munching packet after packet of chocolate biscuits for hoourrrrsss is NOT my idea of fun...But anyway eventually I made it to Airlie Beach.


Airlie beach is a STUNNING part of Australia - Beautiful town, beautiful lagoon (You can't swim in the sea because of jelly fish - or 'stingers' as they're known here.) - I just loved it. Plus, as an added bonus - I stayed in the nicest hostel ever! It was new, clean, spacious, tidy AND had a bath!! A bath?! A bloody bath?!! YES YES YES YESSSSSSS!!!! (My first bath in 3 1/2 months...mmmmm!!!!) I also met a couple of lovely lovely girls here who I ended up travelling with for the next couple of weeks which was great.


I booked on a Whitsunday's boat trip and off I toddled for my '2 night/3 day adventure!' The Whitsundays are stunning. I had the most fantastic time on the boat. We had a great group of people, great staff, great weather (can you sense I enjoyed this!! - Made a change from me being a miserable old moose!) The boat I went on was a 'Scuba Diving' boat but I hadn't intended on doing any diving - only snorkelling. I was eventually convinced to do a trial dive.... AND WOW GLAD I DID!! I ended up doing 3 dives and have TOTALLY got the diving bug!!!


Scuba diving is BRILLIANT!! The marine life is soooooo cool - coral, fish, clams, sharks (Yes I bloody saw a shark!! weeee!!!) - The ability to breath underwater and feel totally free is immense. It's calming and relaxing and fascinating and I totally loved it. This really made my boat trip for me - It was a fantastic few days with great people/food/diving/snorkelling.... Good times. So now I'd well and truly snapped out of my holiday blues (thank God!) and onwards and upwards on the adventure!!


After a couple of extra nights in Airlie Beach with my new travel buddies (good times) I headed on another over-night bus (oooo I just can't get enough of them!) to Cairns, which is one of my favourite places I've visited. Again in Cairns I only intended to stay two nights but extended my trip to a week, (and could have definately stayed longer.) Cairns is like a bigger/better version of Airlie beach. LOTS going on - adventure sports, sunshine (so much!!) water, good vibes, good people, The Great Barrier Reef... etc....etc.


Whilst here I booked on another boat trip. I'd loved my Whitsunday's trip and had got the diving/snorkelling bug BAD and wanted another fix! (haha I sound like a junky!!) Booked on a friend's boat (another friend I met on my season in Morzine) which turned out to be a great idea.


He kindly took me on the most magical scuba dive so far!!! It was breathtaking! Saw so many cool species of fish/wildlife/coral..... 'Nemo' fish, big fish, little fish (cardboard box)... Coral that changed colour when you touched it, slimy coral, hard coral, BIG clams that shut when you stroked the inside, sharks and coolest of all 9-10 Lion Fish in one spot (They're very rare!!!) It was absolutely amazing and further convinced me this is something I HAVE TO DO MORE OF!!!


(I am seriously considering trying to get a job on a boat. Apparantly it's pretty hard to do - but could be amazing to work at sea, get some more diving experience....etc....etc. It's definately something I'm thinking about.....ho humm.....)


Me and Cairns got on very well. I loved the weather, I loved the holiday atmosphere.... Everything just worked really well. Whilst here I spent $10 on a full body massage (fricking bargain - The best bargain I've had in the WHOLE of Aus - considering a bag of crisps is usually about $4!!) I spent a day at the AJ Hackett Bungy place with friends (drinking beer, watching them jump - then finally doing a bungy swing - wooooo!) I sunbathed, I shopped, I drank, I danced, I felt happy and I thoroughly enjoyed myself!!

On my last (boo) day in Cairns I hired a car with a friend and we did a long day driving around lots of waterfalls and creeks around the area. Stunning rainforests with brilliant wildlife (butterflies in rainbow colours, lizards, birds....etc.) Flora and fauna like I've never seen. Waterfalls you could swim in, jump off rocks, slide off rocks....just BRILLIANT fun and it topped my Cairns experience off perfectly....


So that pretty much brings me up to now.... I jumped on a flight to Brisbane which is where I am now (in the Museum of Modern art - piking their free internet!!) In Brisbane I plan to visit some further Apps relatives and another friend I met on my season.... After that heading back to Sydney to see the boy - and after that?? A JOB BECKONS I THINK!!!! Australia is freaking expensive and the pennies are well and truly gone! I am actually quite looking forward to settling down, making some money, getting to know some more people, an area, doing some artwork....etc.... So now my next big decision is where I live and what I do?!!


So that's it - The BIGGEST BLOG I'VE EVER WRITTEN on Rosie's Round the World Adventures. I am having a great time. Meeting new people, seeing new things and opening my eyes to what the world has to offer.... Travelling by myself for this last part has been a great experience.... It has been really hard at times, really rewarding at times, sad at times, happy at times and fun at times. But all in all, I'm so pleased I pushed myself to do it!!

As always, I miss everyone from home and love hearing what's going on with all of you, so keep in touch! Until next time..... x

No comments:

Post a Comment